Tamatar wali Macchi
Tinned Mackerel in a tomato sauce
Before you turn your nose up at this one, you really should try it at least once before you make your mind up about it.
Fish that has been sitting in a tomato sauce, cooked with onions, green chillies and just one spice, Garam Masala and a little salt, is just something else. Yes – no other ingredients. It MUST be the fish in tomato sauce or you really won’t get the amazing flavour you want for this dish. This even works with pilchards, but I find the mackerel is much meatier and also healthier as it’s rich in protein and doesn’t contain as much calories as some meats.
I usually make this fish with Tadka Dal or Masara di Dal – it makes a really quick and easy side dish. I sometimes make it with a runny sauce, rice and crunchy papad (poppadom) but that’s a separate recipe altogether – look out for that one, coming soon.
Ingredients – serves 4 preparation 5 mins, cooking time 15 mins
2 tins of mackerel – remove the spine and do NOT discard the sauce
1 large onion sliced thinly
1 teaspoon of chopped green chillies
Half teaspoon garam masala
Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the sliced onion
- Fry the onions until a slightly golden colour
- Add the fish and green chillies and mash down slightly whilst frying
- Turn the heat to low and and the salt, garam masala and the tomato sauce you kept from the fish.
- Fry on medium heat for a couple more minutes until the fish is warmed through
- Serve with a hot fresh chapatti or any indian bread of your choice
Seriously – can it get any easier?